Aside from being delicious, salmon is really good for you! It’s packed with so many nutrients, including the omega-3 fatty acid, DHA, which benefits your brain and heart. So why not find an excuse to cook some of this healthy and delectable fish for your next party on the patio?
Salmon is easy, versatile and cooks pretty quickly on the grill. Pair your salmon with a variety of sides, including seasoned asparagus, zesty rice or fresh arugula. Check out this grilled salmon recipe and we’re pretty sure it’ll become a favorite among all your guests!
What You’ll Need
- ½ pound black beans, soaked
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot
- ½ celery rib
- 2 oz. ham, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf, tied together with 3 sprigs thyme
- 5 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 24 oz. salmon steaks
- Combine in a large saucepan the beans, onion, carrot, celery, ham, jalapenos, whole clove garlic, bay leaf with thyme, and water.
- Simmer on your grill side burner until beans are tender, about 2 hours, adding more water as necessary to keep the beans covered.
- Remove the carrot, celery, herbs and garlic, and drain off the remaining cooking liquid.
- Toss the beans with the minced garlic, hot pepper flakes and the juice of ½ a lemon. Set aside.
- While the beans are cooking, combine the juice of a whole lemon, olive oil, and basil leaves.
- Pour over the salmon steaks, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Grill the salmon over a moderately high heat for 4-5 minutes per side, basting with some of the marinade every minute.
- Serve each salmon steak with a portion of beans.