No need to spend big bucks on a professional painter when you can achieve the same quality yourself. Use these painting tips to save time and get the best results for your next project. Check out these tips to learn how to paint like a pro.
How to Paint Like a Pro
Tip 1: Tape Like a Pro
- Pull painter’s tape off your surface at a 45-degree angle for the cleanest lines. We recommend Scotch Blue painter’s tape for best results.
- Pull your tape off before your last coat of paint dries. This avoids paint chipping.
- Use a hair dryer as a source of heat to soften the adhesive on tape. This will make for cleaner lines and less residue on your surface.
Tip 2: Get Perfect Lines
- When painting a line (like in a stripe), paint over the tape going inwards to avoid paint seeping underneath the tape. We recommend Wooster Pro paintbrushes for medium to small areas.
- For best coverage when painting two-tone walls, paint the light color first for the best coverage (and when you’re removing the tape, don’t forget to pull the tape towards your painted stripe for the cleanest line).
Tip 3: Quick and Easy Clean-Up
- Use a plastic liner for your paint tray to make quick cleanup a breeze
- Use petroleum jelly to resist paint in small places and corners, like windows. When you’re done you can simply wipe away the petroleum jelly. No need to spend time taping all those tiny areas.
- Don’t spend extra time cleaning. Avoid spills before they happen by using a hammer and nail to make holes in the lid of your paint can. As you pour, the paint filters back through the holes instead of spilling over the rim.
- Use Klean-Strip paint thinner to easily clean oil-based paint off your brushes
- Avoid extra mess by using a brush comb to clean bristles thoroughly.
Tip 4: Be Patient
- Moving your furniture back too soon can cause accidental smudges and chips, especially if any of your furniture sits against the freshly painted area. Wait at least 24 hours before bringing furniture back into your space